Sunday, January 13, 2008

Writing in two genres

As well as writing historical romance, I also write paranormal romance. The paranormals, being contemporary set, are often at a higher sensuality level than the historicals, so that's another difference.
The contemporaries are fairly new to me, but I was surprised at how well they went. True, paranormals are the new black - the bookstore shelves are crammed with them, and the newest names being touted for success do some kind of paranormal - Angela Knight, Lora Leigh, Nalini Singh and the rest.
But what does writing in two different genres mean to the writer?
Lots of things. For me, it's the chance to re-invent myself, write in different styles for different markets. I have always written historical romance, my first novel which I wrote when I was 13, was a historical romance (now, thank goodness, relegated to my mind since the manuscript is long gone). But I always wanted to do something set in the here and now, and I never got any real inspiration until I started to write the first paranormal.
I have found that my style naturally adapts to the genres, once I get myself in that mindset. I use music, more atmospheric than period-specific, for instance, Seal's "Kiss from a Rose" is a historical inspiration for me. I use my research to immerse me in the time, as well.
Now I'm about to start a new historical romance, the fourth Triple Countess book, I'm finding that coming to it fresh from two paranormals, "Topaz Delirium" and "Thunderfire," really gives me the impetus to move back to the ballroom!



2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hi Lynne, I recently purchased your e-book "Chance to Dream" and really enjoyed it. (And I am VERY picky about what I read).

I read it in about 2 days! I particularly liked the fact that the hero could control himself when alone the heroine. (Something that is very tiresome with some American authors who write historicals). Overall, it was a really refreshing change to read, and a great story. Thank you.

I'm looking forward to more of your work (and back catalogue!). I've never read a paranormal though!! But there's a first for everything....

lynneconnolly said...

Thank you for saying that. It really makes my day when I hear that someone enjoys my books, if not my week!
The next Triple Countess book, Met By Chance is out next month. It's Perdita's story.
After that, it's Corin's turn, but I'm only just 'getting' his story.