On one occasion, in August 1798, a French force landed in County Sligo in the north-west of Ireland and held out for 17 days before surrendering. The final attempt to invade was later in 1798, when a French force was intercepted at the mouth of Lough Swilly on the north coast. There weren’t any more attempts, but the British government didn’t know that, of course, and continually worried that the French would still come.
One of the key defences against invasion was the Martello Tower. The British built over 200 of them starting in 1804. This one is at Magilligan Point, on the north coast of Ireland, guarding the entrance to Lough Foyle which is only 25 miles (40 km) east of where the 1798 invasion was attempted. There was another double-gunned tower on the opposite bank. So between them, they controlled the vital narrow entrance.
In fact this Martello Tower wasn’t begun until 1812. That might seem quite surprising when we remember that the British Navy had smashed the French at Trafalgar in 1805. But there was another war on by then, between Britain and the USA, so no doubt the British were still worrying about invasions.
The soldiers who manned the tower would have looked like this.
Retired Irish soldiers might spend their twilight years in the Royal Hospital Kilmainham, Dublin, built in the 1680s and operated on the same lines as the Royal Hospital Chelsea. It didn’t close until 1928.