Thursday, January 27, 2011

Letters From a Regency Lady



First of all my apologies for not blogging before Christmas. I slipped on the ice and broke a bone in my shoulder. For a while I was too unwell and in too much pain to type. However, I am back now and the letters continue.





The cover is for a Medieval book available from kindle only at the moment.














March 1816



Letter from Lady Horatia to her lover



My dearest, it is with relief that I write to tell you that Robert is at least a little better this morning. We had a long talk yesterday and I think it has helped him to come to terms with his grief. Forgive me if I do not explain but it was told me in confidence.



Robert has asked if you will visit us soon. He wishes to meet you, dearest, and he is very much on our side. I know that my brother would stand by us if we chose to leave England together. Melton knows that I wish for a divorce but as yet he remains unwilling to grant my request. If you are certain that you feel able to leave everything behind and seek a new life together please come to me here soon.



Robert has urged me to do what will bring me happiness in life and I believe that I can never be happy without you. However, I could not leave my brother until he is able to cope for himself. I know you have been patient with me and I beg you to remain so until we can take our happiness at last.





Your own Horatia





March 1816



Letter from Lady Horatia to her husband Lord Melton



Sir, I write to tell you that I have decided I shall not return to your house, either in London or the country. When our son was lost nothing remained to us. I beg you to forgive me, but I know that you do not love me and I hope you will find consolation in your mistress.



Such bluntness is necessary at this time for we must speak plainly to one another. I do not wish to remain your wife. I beg you to reconsider and divorce me, but if you refuse I shall simply go away.



Forgive me if this causes you pain. I cannot think it ought for you have never offered me love. Yet I would have had us part as friends were it possible. Please believe that it was never my intention to hurt you.



Horatia.

2 comments:

Jane Odiwe said...

I hope you're feeling much better, Linda! I enjoyed the letters, thank you.

Jan Jones said...

Oh gosh, poor you. It sounds extremely painful. So glad you are now on the mend.