Monday, August 18, 2008

What a Week!




I've spent the weekend trying to catch up with paperwork and housework (I swear it breeds when I'm not looking) as I was away all last week teaching a Summer School on The Craft of Novel Writing at University College Falmouth. There were nine students from many different walks of life. They began the week rather shy and uncertain, and left on Friday delighted with what they had achieved and with a far greater understanding of the techniques required in the construction of a novel. I thoroughly enjoyed myself. And having spent the week discussing character biographies, different types of plot, how to construct a step sheet that shows cause-and-effect events in the plot plus the effects of these on the characters who change as the story progresses, I know I shall be far more self-critical in developing the outline for my own new book.

Meanwhile my niece, who recently set up her own web design business,
(www.phoenix-webdesigns.co.uk) put the finishing touches to my new website and that went live on Tuesday - just as my ISP went off-line for four days due to a major fault! Fortunately, I'm back on-line again. When you have a spare moment/coffee break, do check out my new website. I'd love to know what you think. We have included a page/link for reader's and viewer's comments.

Jane Jackson
www.janejackson.net

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

I am sure your week's teaching has been very usefulto you, Jane: I always find that just talking about the craft of writing helps me to look at my own work with fresh eyes. Congratulations on a lovely website - the images of Cornwall are stunning, they make me want to take a holiday!

Melinda

Anonymous said...

Jane Jackson said...

Glad you like the website, Melinda. A holiday sounds tempting, but with two books to write during the next two years it will have to wait a while.
Mind you, living in Cornwall and with the coast practically on our doorstep, a Sunday morning walk is almost as good - and no traffic jams or airport strikes to contend with!

Anonymous said...

Jane, it's the same living here on the Yorkshire moors - I step out of the door and onto a bridle path!

It is great for inspiration - if I am stuck I can just go for a walk. No cars, only the sound of the curlews or the skylarks (and the sheep, of course)

Melinda

Jan Jones said...

I love the way your website is all blue-and-white colour coordinated, Jane. It makes it look very fresh and ties in with the way the sea is such an integral part of your books.

Anonymous said...

Jane said...

Thanks, Jan. I gave my new web-mistress a totally free hand, and I'm absolutely delighted with the result.