Monday, October 04, 2010

When the Muse Strikes.....










Writers are often asked where the inspiration comes from, and obviously a great deal of it is due to an overactive imagination! However, once one has the outline of a story, all the ideas have to be organised into a logical sequence, and that's when I like to take a walk to get the story straight.

I have just returned from a week's holiday, where I was determined not to do any work, so I left the computer behind, didn't pick up any emails and just switched off for the week – only to come back with ideas for three new stories all jostling for supremacy in my head! So this morning I set off to walk from home down into the valley. After a weekend of torrential rain, the morning dawned bright and sunny up on the hill, but the valley was filled with cloud, like a huge milk-white lake.

It was lovely to walk in the clear sunshine, then to drop down into the mist. The ghost-like images will feature in a book somewhere, I am sure (and just to reassure you I do wear a high visibility jacket when walking on the roads int he fog - the poor drivers have enough to do following the winding hill roads without having the peer through the mist for almost-invisible walkers!)
The walk to the valley is about a mile and I find it a good time to sort out story-lines, plot ideas or just to wrestle with some of the fine detail. I especially love it at this time of the year, when the leaves are turning to gold and the moors glow almost orange in the sunshine.
So now, walk done, I had better get back to the writing!

Have a happy autumn.

Sarah Mallory/Melinda Hammond.

5 Comments:

Anonymous Louise Allen said...

Lovely romantic photos! I wish I got ideas in such lovely places - mine seem to strike when i'm drivng

10:15 AM  
Anonymous Sarah Mallory said...

Having ideas when driving is difficult, Louise, unless you have a recorder with you! I find I get lots of ideas travelling - that was the problem with the holiday, lots of driving through lovely scenery on Exmoor. It conjured up any number of ideas, but I had to hold them all in my head until I could get them onto paper (yes I still use a pad and pencil quite regularly!

All I have to do now is to transfer them to the PC

11:21 AM  
Blogger Jane Odiwe said...

Beautiful photos, very atmospheric, - I love a walk for inspiration.

12:22 PM  
Anonymous Sarah Mallory said...

Thanks, Jane, I wax quite lyrical on lovely mornings like today. Find stormy days better for working on the villains!

2:09 PM  
Blogger Monica Fairview said...

I love the pictures, Sarah. Yesterday as I walked past our local park I saw that there was a lovely layer of low mist hanging just about the grass. It was so beautiful I wish I had my camera.

11:39 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home




Follow us on Twitter @http://twitter.com/HRomanceUK




Readers outside the UK might like to know about

The Book Depository

which offers free delivery worldwide


Our books are also available from all Amazons

- see links to our websites

and our UK and US Amazon pages below -

as well as most book shops

depending on country

LOUISE ALLEN'S WEBSITE

UK       US


JO BEVERLEY'S WEBSITE

UK       US


LYNNE CONNOLLY / LYNNE MARTIN WEBSITE

UK       US


NICOLA CORNICK'S WEBSITE

UK       US


CHRISTINA COURTENAY'S WEBSITE

UK       US


AMANDA GRANGE'S WEBSITE

UK       US


ELIZABETH HAWKSLEY'S WEBSITE

UK       US


ANNE HERRIES'S WEBSITE

UK       US


JANE JACKSON'S WEBSITE

UK       US


JAN JONES'S WEBSITE

UK


MELINDA HAMMOND / SARAH MALLORY WEBSITE

UK       US


JOANNA MAITLAND'S WEBSITE

UK       US


FENELLA JANE MILLER'S WEBSITE

UK       US


JANE ODIWE'S WEBSITE

UK      US



Cover art copyright the publishers