Friday, March 03, 2006

World Book Day – the Day After

....Carrying on the theme of World Book Day. Did you all take part in the survey, "what is your favourite book ending"?

I did (clue: "Reader, I married him…….") but the survey was quite restricted – one did not have free choice of ANY book.

So I started thinking about the kind of book endings that I like best, and decided that I like those that end with a smile. Georgette Heyer was very good at this: the last word was very often given to one of her secondary characters, - remember Felix in Frederica and his "Please, Cousin Alverstoke'…..?

I love the way this shows her grasp of real life, that even though the hero has won his heroine it won't be the end of the story. Why not let us know your own favourites?

Melinda Hammond

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Favourite endings? I agree about ones which leave a smile on my face, or are uplifting in some way.

I like the ending to pretty much anything by Georgette Heyer. I also like the ending to Lord of the Rings - I know, it's not a romance, but I like it anyway! -
"'Well, I'm back,' he said."

And I like the ending of Wuthering Heights: "I lingered round them, under that benign sky: watched the moths fluttering among the heath and hare-bells; listened to the soft wind breathing through the grass; and wondered how any one could ever imagine unquiet slumbers for the sleepers in that quiet earth."