Thursday, March 02, 2006

World Book Day


Today is World Book Day in the UK and Ireland, a day designated by UNESCO as a worldwide celebration of books and reading!

Marked in over 30 countries around the globe, World Book Day puts a great deal of activity trying to prompt children into reading. A worthy cause yet I think it's a great day for everyone to consider reading. I'm in the middle of reading The early Victorian woman: Some aspects of her life (1837-57) by Janet Dunbar. It's providing some useful thinking points about my current novel work-in-progress which is largely set in the early 1830s.

Where would you be without reading? Without having read all the books you've ever read? Gosh, it's difficult to contemplate but I wouldn't be who I am now without books, and I can't help thinking I'd be the poorer for it. A world without Mr Darcy, without Georgette Heyer's Dominic Alistair, Marquis of Vidal and without The Scarlet Pimpernel? A world where Anne of Green Gables had never got mistakenly drunk on cordial, nor Bridget Jones worn her big pants? No, thank you.

No comments: