Saturday, October 31, 2009

Jo Beverley, a book tour to launch a line.

Thanks to the Historical Romance UK blog for letting me post as a guest here.

I was born and raised in Lancashire, but I've lived in Canada since 1976, and my books have been published in New York. Which is lovely, but I've always wanted one published in the UK, and finally it's happened. To make it even more wonderful, the release of Lady Notorious (My Lady Notorious in North America) is happening just as I'm settling back home.

Because I'm here, my UK publisher has put together a small book tour to launch their new line of romantic historicals and my book, which is officially published on Wednesday.

Lady Notorious takes place in 1763. Lady Chastity Ware is a social outcast, confined to a cottage on her father's estate near Shaftesbury, but when her widowed sister flees to her for help, bringing her very young baby, Chastity is determined to get her to Maidenhead and safety.

So she steals a coach.

But the man in the coach is Captain Lord Cynric Malloren, bored with convalescence and ready for adventure. He insists on taking part. -- or taking over, as Chastity sees it. She soon has to admit that he comes in useful when they realized they not only have a villain after them, but the army as well.

My publisher's brilliant idea was to set my tour to follow their route, visiting some of the eighteenth century inns in the novel. That will take me to Shaftesbury, Salisbury, Winchester, a detour to Southampton, and Maidenhead. You can check out all the details here. There's a special evening launch event in Salisbury on Wednesday. It's free, but the room in the old coaching inn can only hold a few people, so it's important to book a place by e-mailing enquiries@everlyn.net

Lady Notorious was originally published by Penguin-NAL of New York, and won a RITA award, the top award of Romance Writers of America. It's appeared on many "best historical romance" lists.

Reviews said:
Beverley beautifully captures the flavour of Georgian England.
American Library Journal.
Delightfully spicy…skilfully plotted and fast-paced…captivating.
Booklist.
“…sensitive prose, charismatic and expert plotting will keep readers
enthralled from first page to last.” Publishers weekly.

There's a stop in Cardiff, and then after a break I hit my home territory of the north, including Blackpool, where I went to grammar school; Morecambe, where I was born and raised; and Whitby, where I now live. The other stops are Stockton, Newcastle, Scarborough, and Leeds. Again, the details are all at the link above.

The other launch book is Fallen Angel (Thunder and Roses in the US) by my good friend, Mary Jo Putney. You can find out about all the upcoming books at Everlyn's web site.

I do hope to meet more of my UK fans and make contact with new readers, too.

There's an extract from Lady Notorious on my website here. It's from the US original, so there may be some US spellings in there. Lady Notorious has been put into proper English usage.

A question -- what do you think is the defining characteristic of the 18th century and the Regency as a setting for romance in the past?

Jo

9 comments:

Melinda Hammond/Sarah Mallory said...

Welcome, Jo - lovely to have you in the UK.

Lady Notorious is on my must read pile (it is also on my "I wish I had thought of that" list, too!!!)

Jo Beverley said...

Hi Melissa.

I have a "wish I'd thought of that" list, too, topped by Temeraire. A dragon airforce in the Napoleonic Wars. Yes!

Jo

kate tremayne said...

Welcome to the blog Jo and congratulations on your new releases and book tour. Your publishers have given you great covers. I look forward to reading them.

As to your question defining this period, I find it so fascinating as we can encompass so many historical adventures in dramatic settings. The choice is endless - smugglers, pirates, highwaymen, wars and intrigue, diversity of class and a growing culture of elegance that still masked many injustices but which allow our heroes and heroines to triumph above their adversity

Amanda said...

Hi Jo, welcome to the blog and welcome back to the UK. The book tour around the locations is a fabulous idea, I'm sure it will be fun.

As to the defining characteristic of the Regency as a setting for the books, I think it's variety. No other period offers so much, to my way of thinking. The period is well known for its balls, parties, picnics, in fact all the fun of elegant social gatherings, but as Kate says, there are plenty of opportunities for excitement and adventure, too.

EmilyBryan said...

I loved Lady Notorious! It was one of the first of your Malloren novels I read and really hooked me on the unique family of rogues and lords you created.

Best wishes on your tour!

Julia Justiss said...

Hoorah for your publishers who are giving your UK readers the books in such gorgeous covers. We N Americans are sorry to lose you, but one can't argue about going home--and to such a lovely location. Hope your tour is a smashing success!

Mary Jo Putney said...

Jo--

The part of me that is chin deep in deadline hell envies you being able to travel around the English countryside, following your characters! Before Lady Notorious was first published, I read it in manuscript for a quote and was blown away, and it's every bit as great a story now. It's a terrific blend of action, character, and period detail--and I'd love to visit Shaftesbury again. *g*


Georgians have more room for wild and woolly, I think, but I do prefer the Regency because of all the interesting ways society was changing. Plus all those handsome soldiers home on leave. *g*

Enjoy your journey.

Jo Beverley said...

Thanks, everyone.

I forgot to mention an important aspect of the tour. Men. At each event there'll be two local young men in period regimentals, and people will be able to vote for the one they think most suitable for a romance hero.

This could be lots of fun!

Jo :)

Cassie said...

Each and every update on your travels makes me so envious of your UK fans. The closer proximity to all those interesting stops, and now you say you will have some nice young men as well....I knew I was living in the wrong country!! I love the background to all the history, fictional as well as factual. I believe that My Lady Notorious was the first of your Malloren stories that I came upon, and fell in love with the names, as well as characters. Will the UK version be so different? Is there a way to compare the two versions? thanks again for the stories, Cassie