Friday, March 05, 2010

A Chance to Love for Georgiana Darcy: The Darcy Cousins

You’re not supposed to have favourites as a writer, but I have to admit I’m partial to my just-released novel, The Darcy Cousins. Perhaps it’s because it’s a coming-of-age story for Georgiana Darcy and I enjoyed the way she develops and learns to trust herself as well as trust in love again after her disastrous experience with Wickham. Or perhaps because I was able to laugh as I wrote it, because it really did go in unexpected directions for me. And I love the hero, Mr Gatley, who is the quintessential, properly attired Regency hero who thinks himself morally superior and has to be taken down a peg or two. He puts me in mind of those arrogant cats who always pretend to groom themselves when you call them or try to get their attention.

(Mr Gatley Silhouette a-la-Jane Austen)

And, then, of course, though in a different way entirely, I really loved revisiting Lady Catherine, who to me is such a deliciously memorable villain. She’s certainly in good form in The Darcy Cousins.

Description
A young lady in disgrace should at least strive to behave with decorum...

Dispatched from America to England under a cloud of scandal, Mr. Darcy's incorrigible American cousin, Clarissa Darcy, manages to provoke Lady Catherine de Bourgh, Mr. Collins, and the parishioners of Hunsford all in one morning!

And there are more surprises in store for that bastion of tradition, Rosings Park, when the family gathers for their annual Easter visit. Georgiana Darcy, generally a shy model of propriety, decides to take a few lessons from her unconventional cousin, to the delight of a neighbouring gentleman. Anne de Bourgh, encouraged to escape her "keeper" Mrs. Jenkinson, simply...vanishes.

But the trouble really starts when Clarissa and Georgiana both set out to win the heart of the same young man...


Monica Fairview

7 comments:

Alexa Adams said...

I'm so looking forward to reading this! April 1st can't come too soon.

Elizabeth Hawksley said...

It sounds terrific! I hope poor Anne manages to get away from her dreadful mother. I've always felt sorry for her. She's another cousin who deserves a chance.

Jan Jones said...

This sounds intriguing. Looking forward to it.

monica fairview said...

Thank you all for your kind words.
Hello Alexa and Jan.
Yes, Elizabeth, Anne does get a chance, even if it's not what you'd expect...

Jane Odiwe said...

Congratulations Monica - I'm reading rave reviews about this book! It sounds fantastic!

Melissa said...

I love Austen, so your new book definitely sounds intriguing. In fact, we'd love to review this book when it comes out. Feel free to contact us if you're interested. :)

Lori said...

Putting this on my to-be-bought/to-be-read lists!