Saturday, March 27, 2010

Regency Letters Four



Regency Letters Four
20th February. From Captain Robert Jenson to his sister Lady Horatia Melton
Dearest One
I write to tell you that within the month I am to be given home leave. I intend to visit you and my sister and mother. I am always delighted to hear your news, whether it be a cry of pleasure or a cry from your heart, Horatia. It will be of great delight to me to see you again and I hope to find both you and my sister and mother well.
Your brother has been awarded another honour. I am to be presented at court by the Regent himself and I very much hope you shall be present at the reception afterwards. I am not certain whether you will be residing in London or at Melton's seat, but if you are there you must certainly come up to town for a few days at least. Melton will surely let you go for such an event and I rely on you to take me about with you and introduce me to all your friends.
I long to see you, dear one, and shall be with you very soon.

6th March 1816. From Lady Horatia Melton to her brother Captain Robert Jensen
Dear Robert
I think our letters must have crossed. You may since have received mine telling you of our sister's loss, in which case you will know that I am now in Bath. As our sister is in too much distress for me to leave her, I suggest that you post down to visit us if you have sufficient leave. I am distraught that your visit should come at such a time for I should have loved to show you off to all my friends. However, we have good friends here in Bath and I know they will appreciate an extra gentleman at dinner. One can never have too many dearest, and a single gentleman as handsome as you undoubtedly are, dearest, is always welcome.
I am making this note very short so that you will receive it and lose no time in coming to see us – me! I need to talk to you, Robert. There is something I would say that I cannot, absolutely cannot, commit to paper. Please, please do come. I wish that you were stationed nearer and can only be glad that you are no longer in India.
I cannot say more at this time for I am in a flutter of anticipation. I expect a visitor at any moment.
I send my undying love and congratulations. You are always deserving of honour in my estimation.
Your lovin

1 Comments:

Blogger Jan Jones said...

Ooh, it's hotting up! Next, please!

10:47 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home




Follow us on Twitter @http://twitter.com/HRomanceUK




Readers outside the UK might like to know about

The Book Depository

which offers free delivery worldwide


Our books are also available from all Amazons

- see links to our websites

and our UK and US Amazon pages below -

as well as most book shops

depending on country

LOUISE ALLEN'S WEBSITE

UK       US


JO BEVERLEY'S WEBSITE

UK       US


LYNNE CONNOLLY WEBSITE

UK       US


NICOLA CORNICK'S WEBSITE

UK       US


CHRISTINA COURTENAY'S WEBSITE

UK       US


AMANDA GRANGE'S WEBSITE

UK       US


ELIZABETH HAWKSLEY'S WEBSITE

UK       US


ANNE HERRIES'S WEBSITE

UK       US


JANE JACKSON'S WEBSITE

UK       US


JAN JONES'S WEBSITE

UK


MELINDA HAMMOND / SARAH MALLORY WEBSITE

UK       US


JOANNA MAITLAND'S WEBSITE

UK       US


FENELLA JANE MILLER'S WEBSITE

UK       US


JANE ODIWE'S WEBSITE

UK      US



Cover art copyright the publishers