Monday, October 30, 2006

Autumn

Autumn, which our cousins across the Atlantic call the Fall, is with us now. I love this time of year. Coloured leaves all over the place, rain and the nights drawing in. I actually love closing the curtains and turning on the fire, and so does my cat.
And this year, for a week or two, we don't have central heating, while we get a new installation, so I'll be able to recall was it was like pre-central heating.
We all worked in the same room, so I got used to doing my homework to the accompaniment of the TV and ordinary family life. When we woke in the morning, we had ice on the inside of the windows, and we dressed under the bedclothes to conserve heat.
So perhaps the good old days weren't quite so good, after all?

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I too, have lovely memories of Jack Frost visiting my bedroom windows and painting fairy ferns on the windows in those days before central heating! I remember everyone huddling around the fire because the heat seemed to evaporate at the edges of the room and getting dressed in the kitchen before school.
I love this time of year, the gorgeous colours of autumnal trees, glossy chestnuts and spiders webs, sparkling with diamonds in the mornings, are so beautiful.

Anonymous said...

I remember this. We didn't have central heating either, but I'v ealways loved winter all the same.