Friday, February 08, 2008

Mills & Boon 100th birthday party




The cover artwork is the copyright of Harlequin Mills & Boon Ltd. The cover I am featuring was A Damnable Rogue, which won the RNA Romance Prize of 2004

Yesterday, wearing my Anne Herries hat, I went to the 100th birthday party of this wonderful publisher. Harlequin Mills & Boon is probably the largest and most successful publisher of romance worldwide. Its books are enjoyed by millions of readers, because you can always rely on them to cheer you up and banish the blues.


The party was held at the Wallace Collection in Manchester Square, London. There were torches flaring outside and girls dressed as pink flamingoes on stilts waving feathers at arrivign guests. Inside there were wonderful flowers, a candyfloss stall and the champagne was flowing. It was a 'sad crush' as they liked to say in Regency times. So many people talking all at the same time that it was difficutl to hear the tenor and the speeches.


All the ladies were given a beautiful scented red rose and we all had goodie bags as we left. It was a glittering occasion and should bring the publicity in for the publisher. I am proud to be an HMB author and I am glad I went to the party. I met some friends and also an author who was popular in the fifties. It was quite a night and something to remember! Anne Herries

2 comments:

Gillian Layne said...

It sounds like a marvelous party, and well deserved! Thank you for sharing your experience with us.

Anonymous said...

It was indeed a super party and an ideal venue for those of us writing historicals, I only wish we could have driven up to the door in a barouche! It was, to use a Regency term, a "sad crush" - in other words, a fantastic success! One of the highlights for me was to meet up with Linda/Anne again. My red rose is now being pressed! Melinda Hammond