Monday, April 19, 2010

Cover Story

I'm in the unusual position of having three different covers for the same story out simultaneously and they are so very different I'm interested to see what the reaction is to them.


The story - Disrobed and Dishonored - was originally for the Mills & Boon Undone! e-book series of short, highly sensual novellas and the cover for that is the one on the left with the garter. Very pretty, mildly risque.

The tale is one of a highwayman who is not all he seems and a young lady of undoubted virtue who has an urgent need to become rather less virtuous. The Ravenhurst clan add to the general complications in the way of true happiness for this unlikely couple - but they have a naughtily good time on the way to their Happy Ever After.

The Undone! series has been proving popular, but I know readers have been asking for them in print format as well, so I was thrilled when found out that my story was to be included in the first North American print anthology - Pleasurably Undone! - which is the rich purple/crimson cover below with the elegantly half draped nude shown below. Sensual, sexy and elegant, I thought.


I was even more excited when Disrobed was included in the first UK anthology - a different selection, all Regency stories, and including one by fellow blogger Nicola Cornick.

Harlequin Mills & Boon usually have very different covers for the UK and North American markets, so it was intriguing to see what they would come up for with this jacket and I was very pleased with the result on the right because I think it is sassy, sexy and - selfishly! - it happens to suit my story very well.

What's your opinion? Do you buy a book by its cover - and which of these three most appeals to you?

Louise Allen








4 comments:

Jan Jones said...

I never buy a book by its cover! Always go for the author's name.

That said, I like your third cover best. And I love both your story and Nicola's.

Sarah Mallory/Melinda Hammond said...

Oh well done, Louise - three super covers! Jan is quite right one should never buy a book for its cover, but a good one certainly helps!

Elizabeth Hawksley said...

I agree with Jan: the third cover does it for me. It took me some time to work out that the first cover showed the lady's knee rather than her shoulder. And the second cover was obviously advertising some exotic bath product or, possibly, chocolate.

And yes, I, too, go for the author. I know that any book of yours, Louise, will be a great read.

Victoria Lamb said...

If I had to choose, I'd go for the third, but really, I look at the author's name and then the storyline. If it sounds too - yawn - familiar, I tend to put it back and look for something a bit more out of the ordinary.

Though I'll take even an over-done (as opposed to Undone!) storyline line with a curious twist, or a particularly interesting-sounding character, or maybe if I've seen some pre-publicity that's made me keen to read that book or that author.

Good luck with ALL of these!