Thursday, November 09, 2006

Secondhand Books


THE PRINCE OF PLEASURE And His Regency 1811-1820 by J. B. PRIESTLY
I always rush into Charity shops when I'm in Colchester- like most towns it has more of them than almost any other shop - apart from mobile phone shops, of course!!
I go to the bric-a-brac first where I've found all sorts of interesting items. The last ones were two hand carved wooden birds from Africa for £1.
But I linger longest at the book section. A quick glance along the fiction shelves then a long lingering look at the non fiction.
Last time I managed to buy this wonderful book for the princely sum of £4. It's in very good condition and packed full of photographs and drawings perfect for research. I also find the bibliography useful- I've managed to obtain one or two excellent books this way.
However I was amused to discover that the original cost of this book in 1971 was £1. 50!! I had no idea ordinary secondhand books were such a good investment.
Fenella Miller

2 Comments:

Anonymous Jane O said...

It is a really great book-I've got a lovely market near me where there is a bookstall every Wednesday and Saturday. The only problem is I always find it really hard to stop, although they are really reasonable, I could go mad. Last week, I managed to find a copy of 'The Creevey Papers' for £3-isn't it wonderful when you find a bargain?

9:37 PM  
Blogger Kate Allan said...

Ooooo - I have this book. Had some very interesting pictures.

1:55 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home




Follow us on Twitter @http://twitter.com/HRomanceUK




Readers outside the UK might like to know about

The Book Depository

which offers free delivery worldwide


Our books are also available from all Amazons

- see links to our websites

and our UK and US Amazon pages below -

as well as most book shops

depending on country

LOUISE ALLEN'S WEBSITE

UK       US


JO BEVERLEY'S WEBSITE

UK       US


LYNNE CONNOLLY WEBSITE

UK       US


NICOLA CORNICK'S WEBSITE

UK       US


CHRISTINA COURTENAY'S WEBSITE

UK       US


AMANDA GRANGE'S WEBSITE

UK       US


ELIZABETH HAWKSLEY'S WEBSITE

UK       US


ANNE HERRIES'S WEBSITE

UK       US


JANE JACKSON'S WEBSITE

UK       US


JAN JONES'S WEBSITE

UK


MELINDA HAMMOND / SARAH MALLORY WEBSITE

UK       US


JOANNA MAITLAND'S WEBSITE

UK       US


FENELLA JANE MILLER'S WEBSITE

UK       US


JANE ODIWE'S WEBSITE

UK      US



Cover art copyright the publishers