Tuesday, September 30, 2008

All in the name of Research!

A couple of years ago, my sister treated me to a long weekend in Derbyshire. We don't do it very often, but it's always lovely to spend time together on our own. One of the fascinating places we visited was the Red House Stables Working Carriage Museum. It was in the middle of winter and as we were the only people there that afternoon, we were able to really explore the place and completely monopolise one of the lovely staff who told us all about the adventures they'd had working in lots of t.v. and film. I was especially interested to hear that some of the carriages had been used for the 1996 adaptation of Pride and Prejudice, starring Jennifer Ehle and Colin Firth. I loved the striped interior of the carriage below, which had been left in its original state. Can you just imagine being driven around whilst sitting on pink striped glazed chintz!


Jane Odiwe

5 comments:

Jan Jones said...

Oh, fabulous, Jane! How ever could you bring yourself to leave at chucking-out time?

(Not wholly sure about the inside of that carriage, though...)

Jane Odiwe said...

No, I know what you mean-I wonder if they have restored it now-but in its day I'm sure it was beautiful.

Linda Banche said...

As a general comment, I love reading your blog. I live in the USA, and you talk about books I've never heard of here. Now I just have to find them.

Anonymous said...

I loved the photo of the pink interior. Wonder what Darcy would have made of it?

Lucky you, being able to see the carriage depicted in the film...

Jane Odiwe said...

It really made me want to get in one and be driven around. I think they do have days when you can try out a carriage. I am very lucky to have such a lovely sister who treats me to these wonderful trips. I would love to go back one of the days!