Sunday, April 07, 2013

Forbidden


I am very excited that Forbidden, the sixth and final book in my Scandalous Women of the Ton series, is now available in the UK from MIRA. Forbidden is a rags-to-riches Cinderella story of Margery Mallon, a maid turned heiress. In a twist on the Cinderella theme, Margery disinherits her very own Prince Charming when she comes into her inheritance because the man she loves is the one who would have gained everything – title, money and estates, if only she had not been found.

One of the things I liked about writing Forbidden is that Margery will inherit her title in her own right. Whilst it is unusual in the English peerage for women to inherit, there are plenty of precedents and I liked that Margery was a girl who could inherit a title!

Here is the blurb for the book:

After 20 years the Earl of Templemore has found his lost heir and the Ton is in uproar!

Margery Mallon is a lady’s maid with ambitions to be a confectioner. The one thing she does not want is to be Lady Marguerite of Templemore, the richest heiress in England.

Henry, Lord Wardeaux is the man who would have inherited Templemore if Margery had not been found. Now it is his duty to teach her all she needs to know about the estate.

Henry has too much pride and too much of a dark past to marry Margery simply to regain the inheritance he thought was his but although she is forbidden to him it seems she may be the one woman he cannot resist.

I think the cover for Forbidden is gorgeous and the way in which it was designed is going to be featured on the Channel 4 TV programme Interns later this month as part of a programme filmed at Harlequin Mills & Boon.

There’s more information about the book, background research and contests on my website www.nicolacornick.co.uk

11 comments:

Elizabeth Hawksley said...

It sounds terrific, Nicola! It's high time the name Henry came back as a name for a hero. My eldest brother was named Henry after Henry Tilney - my mother's favourite Austen hero.

Louise Allen said...

I'm reading it now and loving it!

Melinda Hammond/Sarah Mallory said...

Lovely cover and a great premise, Nicola - I shall read it as soon as I can!

Nicola Cornick said...

I love the name Henry, Elizabeth. I think it's very manly and I like Henry Tilney too!

Nicola Cornick said...

Thank you so much for that vote of confidence, Louise! I'm so pleased you like it!

Nicola Cornick said...

Thank you, Melinda!

Cassia DeWarren said...

I loved "Forbidden" very much. As I could not wait for the UK edition (wonderful cover!), I bought the US edition.

Any chance to enlarge the "Scandalous Women of the Ton" series with another story, pleeeeease? ;-)

I'll miss this series very much.

Sell My Rolex said...

It sounds terrific :)
Sell Rolex watch

Melinda Hammond/Sarah Mallory said...

Glad you pointed out that it is unusual for a woman to inherit a British title, Nicola. I, too, researched very carefully before I wrote A Lady at Midnight to make sure there was a precedent for it. Looking forward to reading Forbidden - and love the sound of your hero :-)

Nicola Cornick said...

Ah, thank you, Cassia! Well, never say never when it comes to the Scandalous Ladies of the Ton, but I have a new series starting in July called Scottish Brides. I hope you will like that too!

Nicola Cornick said...

Thanks, Melinda. Yes, it's one of those things you have to check out in careful detail because a lot of readers don't believe a woman can inherit and of course inheritance laws are fiendishly complicated. I LOVE the title A Lady at Midnight btw!