Tuesday, December 16, 2014

Happy Birthday Jane!

Today is Jane Austen's birthday. She was born on December 16th 1775 and would be 239 if she were still alive. We're sharing our thoughts about the immortal Jane in honour of that birthday and I'm going to start the ball rolling.

Jane Austen has travelled with me through life. I first discovered her when I was about 12 or 13 years old. I found Pride and Prejudice in my local library and as soon as I read the first page I was hooked. It was the humour that appealed to me. When Lizzy and Darcy entered the story, things just kept on getting better. I lived every moment of it and it became my favourite book, which it has been ever since. I then read all of her other books, some of which I loved instantly and some of which have grown on me over the years. Writing the heroes' diaries was something I adored and although it took me about 8 years, it was time well spent. I loved digging deeper into Jane's novels and discovering things I hadn't noticed, even though I'd read them many times.

And now, here we are again at her birthday, which is a reminder of her genius and of what she has given to the world.

What are your thoughts, feelings and memories of Jane? How has she affected your life?

Amanda Grange

5 comments:

Beth Elliott said...

Like you, I first read Pride and Prejudice when I was 12. I walked into that story and it's been a favourite place ever since. No wonder I write Regency era stories - and enjoy other people's. I just love your Mr Darcy's obsession with muddy petticoats.

Jane Odiwe said...

I can't imagine what my life would have been without Jane Austen - she's given me endless hours of pleasure, and inspired me to become a writer. Happy Birthday, Jane!

Elizabeth Hawksley said...

When I first read Jane Austen's books in my teens, I read them as though they were Georgette Heyers! I only gradually came to appreciate the depths beneath the lively irony and romance.

Birthday blessings on Jane Austen; she's such an inspiration and her books have given me so much pleasure.

Melinda Hammond/Sarah Mallory said...

I agree, Elizabeth, JA works on many levels so you can read and re-read them and get more enjoyment every time. She certainly inspired me to write.

Unknown said...

I adore Jane Austen's dry sense of humour and love the way in which she allows the characters to condemn themselves every time they open their mouth. That is the greatest of writing.

Happy Birthday, Jane, indeed!