Thursday, January 26, 2006

Miss Bridget Jane's Diary - part 2


So here it is, another extract from Miss Bridget Jane's Diary!

January 2nd

9 o’clock

Breakfast with Mama and Susan, who is visiting for New Year. Was just pouring my second cup of chocolate when Susan reminded me that we are going to one of Aunt Anne’s balls in a few days time.

Forgot all my good resolutions and said, ‘As long as my headache’s better by then, otherwise I don’t think I’ll be able to go.’


Cannot help dreading Aunt Anne’s balls. She says the same thing every time.

‘What, Bridget, still not married? We’ll have to find you a husband soon, won’t we, or you’ll end up an old maid.’

Then she rolls her eyes at Mama, and Mama rolls her eyes back, and they both give silvery laughs, and I give a silvery laugh, too, to show what a good joke it is, even though I don’t think it’s a good joke at all.

11 o’clock

Extra New Year’s Resolution.

I will not dance with anyone who is short, fat or over forty, or anyone who licks their lips when they see me as though I’m a particularly tasty mutton chop.

Oh dear! I’ve just remembered that last year I made the same resolution, but I wrote, I will not dance with anyone who is short, fat or over forty, or anyone who licks their lips when they see me as though I’m a tender piece of lamb.

Note to self. Must not think of myself as mutton. Must continue to think of myself as lamb.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I love this! I can just imagine Lydia thinking this way. A wonderful combination of chick-lit and Regency. I hope you plan to publish it!
Mona