Thursday, January 12, 2006

My first talk- and other things!





I am have almost completed my third Regency romantic adventure for Robert Hale and hope to send it off by the end of the month. It is entitled 'A Dissembler' but I'm not sure if that title will stay. It is set locally, as one thing I have learnt on my sorties into various bookshops and libraries is that their first question is. 'Is it local?' Hopefully setting it in the villages around where I live will improve the sales of this novel.
The two page spread published in the East Anglian Daily Times before Christmas has not, as far as I am aware prompted a big rush to the bookshops. In fact I'm beginning to think this paper is read about as often as 'Poultry Monthly'.
I have the first of three talks to local grouops coming up soon. As an ex-teacher talking to a captive audience has never been a problem. However this is to a W.I. group and doesn't start until 8.30pm. I hope I can stay awake that late- I get up at 5.00 am to write and would normally be collapsed in front of the TV by then, not trying to entertain a group of annonymous ladies in a chilly village hall.
I will keep you posted about the success, or otherwise, of this venture.
Fenella

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Fenella, are all your books published/going to be published in hardback? Because I'm sure that affects sales. I'm wondering if the publisher is primarily selling to libraries. Hardbacks are more expensive, so probably sell less well to romance-readers browsing a bookshop. But libraries do buy a lot of books, and a lot of people borrow books from libraries, so it's not as though your book won't be bought and read.

I don't know, I'm just speculating.

Kate Allan said...

Good with the talk! I've not done a W.I. talk but I'm doing a talk about researching the Regency to a women's circle in March.