Monday, June 29, 2009

Colonel Brandon's Diary

I'm just dropping in to say that the US paperback of Colonel Brandon's Diary will be out on July 7th. I really loved writing this book.

At first glance, Colonel Brandon might seem like an unlikely hero but on closer inspection he's a man with a deep heart and a tragedy in his past. I enjoyed bringing this past to life in his diary, following the plot laid down by Jane Austen but adding detail and colour, exploring his relationships with his father and brother, with his first love Eliza and with Eliza's daughter.

And I adored showing his love for Marianne Dashwood, giving his perspective on her warm, generous nature and her free spirit.

It's such a great story, with heroes and villains, comic characters and silly ones, and I hope you're going to love the story from Brandon's point of view.

5 comments:

Jan Jones said...

I certainly did! And I put my review on Amazon (UK)

Jane Odiwe said...

I love Colonel Brandon too! Congratulations and Good Luck with the publication!

monica fairview said...

Colonel Brandon certainly deserves his own story. In many ways, he's the most heroic of JA's heroes, because he was willing to stand by the women he loved and to support them all the way, without judgement or blame. Looking forward to reading his diary.

Anonymous said...

Jane said...

Colonel Brandon is one of my heroes. Played by Alan Rickman in the Emma Thompson version of Sense & Sensibility he was utterly convincing and totally heart-wrenching as a man of deep and passionate feelings hidden beneath a facade of reserve. If anyone can do him justice, it's you, Amanda. Hope it sells out.

Lisa said...

I'm looking forward to reading Brandon's Diary since I have a hard time understanding his motivations.